Sunday, October 17, 2010

Titanium bikes

So carbon rules right? Well we've just had 2 different Ti IFs come through the store with totally different set ups and uses. One is a replacement for a road bike I built for a customer around 5 years ago that came to an untimely end when it fell off a car rack on rte 128. The geometry and set up rules out a carbon bike so what to do, custom Ti is what, the bike looked as good the second time as it did 5 years ago and the fit is spot on. The second is my main man Sammy's Ti 29er. He's been jonesing for a Ti IF forever and finally pulled the trigger this fall, the boys and girls at IF hooked him up on the paint for a true one of a kind. I must say its a really nice bike that will be with him for a long time. So I guess the long and short of this post is Ti is still alive especially if you need custom fit that you can't get in a carbon bike or you want something that will last nearly forever. Consider it the next time you think about the "last bike I'll ever own".
Ok I don't own a Ti single bike anymore but I still have my Merlin Ti tandem, maybe the next bike I get will be a Ti Club Racer or Independence.

botd: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (they finally got rid of the twist-off caps)

2 comments:

  1. Titanium bikes fly through the air really well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My 1996 Merlin Extralight (1" head tube) is still going strong. And with the price of carbon bikes, my Merlin probably will be the last bike I own.

    ReplyDelete